Crowngate Construction is committed to promoting sustainability and understands the range of impacts construction and associated site activities has on communities. It is the policy of Crowngate Construction and all Sub-Contractors / Suppliers appointed to undertake works & supply products / materials, to protect the environment through sound practices that reduce waste generation, minimise risk to the environment and preserve energy. We aim to follow and to promote good sustainability practice, to reduce the environmental impacts of all our activities and to help our clients and partners to do the same. Ways to meet the above objectives are described in the company’s ‘Environmental Policy Statement’ (part of Health, Safety & Environmental Manual - located in Construction Phase H&S Plan – Appendix K – page 9).
More specifically and in order to promote sustainability, Crowngate Construction Ltd is aiming to undertake the following actions over the Construction Phase of every project:
Sustainable Consumption and Production
- Specify and procure sustainable materials (A-Rate & certified such as FSC timber)
- Appoint and assess supply chain partners based on sustainability performance
- Identify opportunities for reuse and recycling of resources prior to work commence
- Reduce waste to landfill and support Zero Waste initiatives through SWMPs
- Investigate how much waste we generate, using segregation to enable higher rates of recycling
- Ensure that all electrical & mechanical systems supplied & fitted, in combination with insulation supplied to all elements of the building fabric, will achieve the best possible Energy Performance Rating – targeting to an EPC Score of ‘A’.
- Arrange automatic shutdown of PC’s and on-site electrical equipment at an agreed time each evening.
- Use environmentally friendly products in canteen & toilet areas.
Climate Change and Energy
- Communicate, train and incentivise staff to adopt energy efficient practices
- Regularly service and maintain plant and machinery to optimise low emission rates
- Set photocopiers, printers and scanners to B&W double sided as default
- Ensure continued roll out of electronic records document management system and online services initiatives to reduce need for paper.
Creating Sustainable Communities
- Provide a safe & healthy working environment with appropriate education & training
- Liaise and engage local communities and stakeholders in a responsible manner - please see Policy for Maintaining Positive Relationships with Stakeholders.
- Achieve above the average industry standard for Considerate Constructors Scheme
- Purchase fair-trade and ethically certified products to support global communities
Crowngate Construction understand that there is a constant requirement for improvement on sustainable practices and therefore strives to improve on those items listed below:
- Work with our staff, customers and sub-contractors to make all of our building’s operations as environmentally friendly as we can
- Redude waste created and where possible to reuse and recycle before responsible disposal of surplus materials; to use recycled and recyclable materials wherever possible
- Analyse how people travel to and from our sites: encouraging shared vehicles, public transport and cycling to work where possible
- Review what we buy - sourcing goods with low environmental impact and working with local suppliers wherever possible
- Manage and reduce water consumption
- Reduce our carbon footprint through prudent use of fossil fuels (through energy conservation, management and efficiency within buildings) and to switch to low-carbon fuel alternatives where possible
- Frequently review current Environmental Policy and Action Plan.